Monday, July 7, 2008

Paris- Week 1

Saturday- June 28th

Had to fly from LGA to Philly, which was pretty weird because the flight was only an hour and 20 minutes, but it was on a Buddy Holly plane...8 rows, 4 seats across and it had propellors. Kind of scary...
The overnight flight from Philly to Paris wasn't that bad, but there were 2 sick little kids sitting next to me. Egh. The plane was delayed 45 minutes, but I slept the entire time and through takeoff, so waking up already in the air was pretty weird. I watched American Gangster, it was okay. Russell Crowe reminds me of Eddie Vedder, so that was nice. Had some really bad pasta...yeah, pretty much it....


Sunday- June 29th

Arrived in Paris very jet lagged at around 9:30. Took forever to get my bags and meet all the other people from the program I am in. Felt kind of weird not knowing anyone, but I just really wanted to get to the dorms and unpack. In retrospect, I was probably very bitchy, but oh well. I blame it on the jet lag. I didn't really feel like I was in France, for some reason. I guess expectations are really high because Paris is so iconic. I did see a sign for Evry on the way into Paris, which was really exciting to me. I turned to whoever was sitting next to me all excited, but then I remembered that no one did parkour and I got really sad because I had no one to share the moment with. :o( I am very much missing my parkour buddies already!!! Stumbled upon a little playground, nothing too impressive, but I was restless from the flight and wanted to mess around a bit. Just did some rolls, monkey walking and side monkeys on the grass, then worked some balance, vaults and precision on the playground structure. The kids started following me around trying to do the same little circuit, which was adorable. This little boy called his father over and kept pointing at me, which was pretty funny. Not much else happened that day except for unpacking, paying $20 US dollars for what was essentially an open face grilled cheese sandwich (Read: jet lag leads to poor decision making capabilities...) and me alone trying to find a grocery store and ending up walking along a highway towards a tunnel. Not fun.

Monday- June 30th

Had an orientation for school and took the Metro for the first time. Not too impressed with Paris thus far, it is essentially New York but with french people, different architecture and lots of cheese. Had an egg and potato crepe at a creperie near school, which was pretty good and reasonably priced, not like my $20 cheese sandwich adventure....c'est la vie...

A bunch of us went to Luxembourg Park to walk around and chill. Warmed up my muscles and joints and did some qm work on a set of stairs and worked on balance for a while. Couldn't get too into it because we had a bus tour of the city, which ended up being kind of boring. Saw all the stores that would be downright dangerous for me to go into with a credit card, stores that you have to dress up to even get into. Bah, I'm poor in Paris but really want some couture!!! Went home and talked to my family and some friends. I am pretty homesick. So weird not being with any traceurs/euses. I miss them.

Tuesday- July 1st

Took my placement exam and bombed because I was in a horrible mood. Had a really disgusting lasagna in the cafeteria. Then we went to the Catacombs. Got some cool pictures, but I didn't like being there, too eerie. I felt disrespectful being there and sad that these unknown people's bones became a tourist attraction.

Wednesday- July 2nd

Had my first class, it was okay. My french teacher is kind of crazy, but I guess that is just how they are. My friend's teacher's name is Stephane Vigouroux, but I read it wrong and freaked out for a second thinking it was Stephane, haha. After class, this guy wanted to chinese food, we walked around for 2 hours looking for a place because we all thought he was looking for a specific place, but it turns out that he wasn't and was just leading us to nowhere.Too tired and hungry to question, plus my parkour vision kept going off and I was mad distracted. Every time I stopped to play, though, they left me. :o( Ended up eating melted cheese and basil on a piece of bread and a brownie at this organic food place. That set me back about 15 dollars. It wasn't worth it.

Went to the Eiffel Tower that night, messed around a little bit on the way there. Just random traversing and climbing. Tower was beautiful all lit up. Decided not to go up because it was late and the line was too long. I really want to qm up the steps to the first floor. If there aren't too many people when I go, I may be able to........

Thursday- July 3rd

I didn't sleep at all last night. Sick from dehydration. Had a fever, was delirious and confused. I had to leave class about an hour and a half in and miss my first phonetics workshop in the afternoon because I had to go back to my dorm and sleep. Went to the Bastille and had hot chocolate later that night when I was feeling better. It was literally melted chocolate. Soooo good. I felt a lot better after that, heh. Have to remember not to let myself get dehydrated again. Not fun. Oh well, lesson learned...I find myself saying that at least twice a day.....

Friday- July 4th

Went to Monmartre after class and saw the Sacre Couer. There are a a ton of steps leading to it, so I frog hopped up them, which was fun. Once I got to the lawn, these french guys started yelling, "Go, go go go go!!" as I was hopping, which was pretty funny and helped encourage me to finish the last 2 stair cases in one go. Went to a cafe and had roasted chicken with sauteed onions, french fries and salad. 14 euros...kind of expensive, but it was delicious and my first and only meal of the day...or at least that's how I justify it......

Saturday- July 5th

Left for Normandie for the Weekend. Went to the WWII museum there, it was really intense. They have a new 9/11 exhibit and had a crushed police car on display as soon as you walked into the museum. I really wasn't expecting it and I got really upset. No one else lives near New York so they didn't really get it, if you know what I mean. Anyway...just filled me with bad memories. We went to the American Cemetery, Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc. It was an emotionally exhausting day. The people that are in my group are really something else. They climbed down into the craters left by explosions at Pointe du Hoc and were taking pictures with their thumbs up and smiling like they are in front of the Magic Kingdom. Assholes. I went HST that day and don't regret it at all. Hunter isn't around to put the swine in their place so I figure I should give my best effort in his honor.

We went to this apple place after that and got some cookies and jam, then got some really good pizza. It smelled like New York Pizza, tasted similar, so that made me happy. Good end to a bad day.

Sunday- July 6th

Went to Mont St. Michel, the 2nd most visited landmark aside from the Eiffel Tower. It is a 1300 year old medieval church that they built a small town around, so at one point there was a town blacksmith and whatnot. It was really really cool! I was walking around and was kind of saddened that it became postcard stands and gift shops, but I guess that is the way things go. Went to a cookie factory after that, but didn't get to see any cookies being made. :o( The cookies were obviously incredible. I bought a bag for my family, but I am unable to guarantee that the entire bag will make it back to the States.....

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ooh, a travelogue! i love it :)

if you get a chance, jump on the Eurostar and take a quick trip to London. You can make it up there and back to Paris in a day.

-Muhammad

Zac said...

Way cool! I knew you'd get everything done in time. It sounds awesome so far and just remember- if you can laugh at the little things that go wrong, you'll have more time to worry about the big things. And they're all little things.

Keep on blogging, I'll be following you!

Except.. not in a creepy stalker sounding kind of way.

Tyson said...

"Not too impressed with Paris thus far, it is essentially New York but with french people, different architecture and lots of cheese."

Hahaha! Nice one, ah I'm so far behind...what's HST?