Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Trip Reflection...

After a solid week of decompression back home, I find myself remembering my intentions for this trip. It began simply enough, only 2 goals: learn a bit more French and train. Did I accomplish those 2 things? Yes, but it is the in-between stuff that made it all the more enjoyable…

I didn’t realize that I would end up spending the entire month of July training in Paris totally alone. It was really, really difficult to train in a new environment, trying to find good spots in a foreign country where I don’t really speak the language, all while utilizing my time efficiently, which is a major weakness for me.

No one that I was studying with knew of parkour, so many people in my program were very interested in me and my training, but they weren’t coming from a positive place. We have all had experiences with this type of person, “that looks easy, blah blah blah.” When I had no other traceurs or traceuses to relate to, though, that negative mentality really broke me down. I was really frustrated and angry, even though I knew it didn’t matter, all that mattered was my training. One big mental break that I had was just not caring what anyone thought anymore. Stop explaining yourself and just train. Everything happens just when it needs to, in the order it needs to.

Much thanks, love and respect to the traceurs of Lisses and all the traceurs and traceuses in London, especially Dan, Forest, Julie, Annty, Brian and Alli. A longer trip is in the works for next summer, but as for right now? I have some work to do…..
Happy training, everyone!

1 comment:

Animus said...

Sometimes, taking a break from the larger community changes the way you look at things and the things that you know about yourself. I hope it was a great learning experience for you... but I'm sure you're glad to be back with your brothers and sisters in movement. :)

Happy training, Ann. It was a pleasure to read your blog while you were away.